The industrial revolution was further supported in the town in 1808 by the introduction of the Manchester, Bolton and Bury canals. There were seven cotton mills in Bury by 1818.
Between 1801 and 1830, the population of the town more than doubled from 7,072 to 15,086. This was the time when the factories, mines and foundries, with their spinning machines and steam engines, began to dominate the landscape. The population grew further to 58,029 by 1901.
The railways soon followed and in 1846 Bury Bolton Street Station opened to link to Manchester.